Friday, January 23, 2009

Antietam

Word has finally reached Memphis of the battle at Antietam. I applaud General McClellan for his caution but there were opportunities that he failed to take advantage of that could have the battle more decisive. However, given the circumstances, he did what was necessary and I must congratulate him for stopping the threat of Lee invading into the Capital.

It is difficult to determine who is the true winner of this battle. The Union may have lost more men but we prevented a possible threat. The lives of 13000 Union men and 10000 Confederates cannot be discounted. Never has so much American blood been shed. The creek no longer flows with water but with the blood of Americans.

I am currently establishing a stronger position here at Fort Pickering in Memphis until I receive further orders. I am using the local slaveholder's "chattel"(Marszalek, 192) to help improve our fortifications. The owners are compensated properly for the permission to use them.

President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation is a troubling document and declaration. I agree with the fact that this war must fought to reunify the nation but I do not agree with the liberation of the slaves. I think that it is a viable institution. Their liberation also creates many other problems. What will we do with the slaves once the war ends? Who is to feed and clothe them? The government cannot do everything for them!



Sources:
Sherman: A Soldier's Passion for Order by John F. Marszalek
The Civil War Battlefield Guide edited by Frances H. Kennedy
War of Rebellion: Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies Series 1 Volume 19 Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment